United Kingdom

I have pain near the front of my ear, cheekbone, and have pressure near my eye, and feel dizzy. ive had this for 7 years on and off now, and doctor says it is chronic sinusitis. how does she know it isnt a brain tumour?

Dr. Jeffrey Gross
Neurosurgery 29 years experience
Epidemiology.: Answer is statistical likelihood. Follow your doctor's recommendation and treat the sinusitis completely. If the symptoms go away, then you will have proven her correct. If the symptoms are not improved meaningfully, then seek a second opinion for a more rarer diagnostic work up for other causes of your symptoms. If you have other risk factors for tumors, then seek this additional work up soon
The symptom pattern: Brain tumors do not passively for 7 years giving you the symptoms limited to the ares you cite. The body design has some predictable patterns related to structures involved. Her diagnosis is reasonable with the pattern listed. Brain tumor is not. If you want another opinion arrange it. You can always pay out of pocket for an MRI since insurers would not cover the study based on this pattern.
Dr. Jeffrey Gross
Neurosurgery 29 years experience
In deference and with respect to my colleague, there are slow growing types of brain tumors, unlikely as they may be. I would not make medical decisions based upon what an "insurer" would not pay for
Aug 26, 2020

Last updated Aug 26, 2020