U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 28-year-old female asked:

I have a row of missing teeth, i then got dentures but didnt use them as they were badly fitted,but now my face is starting to hurt especially when i sleep there is a lot of gum discomfort as the row is flat. should i see a dentist or a specialist?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Elisa Ribelles-medhus
Internal Medicine 43 years experience
Periodontist: Since it sounds like gum issue, I'd see a periodontist. If the gums are swollen and/or red, then I would make an appointment quickly since this could be a sign of an infection.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Armine Nazarian
Dentistry 31 years experience
See a dentist : You need to see a general dentist. Bring in your denture with you so they can see it and check it for you. They may be able to reline it to make it fit your mouth. Don’t go too long without it because the changes may be severe at that point and the chances of being able to use the already existing denture will be much less. You may also see the original dentist to have them fix the problem.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated May 7, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.