A 32-year-old female asked:
Disclaimer

my 4 year old swallowed one small magnet. smaller than a 10c piece. will it pass or should i take him to er?

1 doctor answer
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
35 years experience Pediatric Pulmonology
Emergency room: The size and composition of the magnet are of concern. Most likely there will be no complications, but an evaluation is indicated. Please see the emergency department.
Answered on Feb 17, 2020
1
1 thank

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
$10/month

Related questions:

A 36-year-old female asked:
Dr. Jennifer Austin
14 years experience Obstetrics and Gynecology
Magnet balls: Yes. The ER can do imaging to make sure that it was just one. It can cause big problems if it was two or more of them.
1
1 thank
A 42-year-old male asked:
Dr. James Ferguson
45 years experience Pediatrics
The problem: A single magnet that made its way to the stomach might pass through with no problem. If you cannot be absolutely sure there was not another magnet, or ... Read More
A 42-year-old male asked:
Dr. Neigatha Graney
36 years experience Pediatrics
See A Doctor Now: Anytime a baby swallows a foreign object is cause for concern. Important to know if baby experienced choking or cough indicating object may have enter ... Read More
A 39-year-old male asked:
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu answered
56 years experience Allergy and Immunology
It will pass: If it is not sharp and the size of a capsule, it will likely pass in the stool in a couple of days. If he develops abdominal pain , you will need take ... Read More
1
1 thank

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
$10/month