San Francisco, CA

can not wearing your dental retainers cause balance and walking problems related to the jaw? tmj? or is it only the teeth shifting if it moves back?

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
Not likely: I have never heard of malpositioned teeth causing walking difficulty. If that were the case a whole lot of people would have difficulty getting around.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
No: Not wearing your dental retainers will allow your teeth to tip and drift, usually back toward your original malocclusion, but will not affect your gait or balance. The incidence of joint problems is the same with or without Orthodontic care,but optimizing occlusion eliminates teeth driven jaw dysfunction from the equation. To go through Orthodontic treatment and not retain the result is a waste.