FL

Can upper wisdom cause tmj problems? because it's misaligned and not impacted. dentist didn't say anything about it but they know i clench my teeth and my that my right jaw joint pops?

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
TMJ issues can be caused by a number of factors. Your clenching and/or bruxism is most likely the cause. If your maxillary wisdom tooth is positioned so far laterally that it impinges on the soft tissues of your cheek, you might be chewing a certain way to avoid soft tissue trauma, and that can add to the problem.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Greater chance that your joint problem (displacement and recapturing of disc within the joint) is caused by clenching. Have your Dentist evaluate all 4 off your wisdom teeth. If malposed or impacted they should be removed. Also speak to your Dentist about fabricating an Occlusal Orthotic (night guard) to help protect your teeth from damage and coincidentally help your joint problem.

Last updated Aug 5, 2021