I had bunion surgery in may of 2017 my big toe and the top of my foot are still swollen. will the swelling ever go away?

4 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Ronald Krauser answered

Specializes in Rheumatology

See details: Have the foot reevaluated. The post-surgical pain and swelling should have resolved months ago.

Answered 1/9/2021

361 views

Dr. Jay D Helman answered

Specializes in Podiatry

Discuss the issue Dr: Everyone heals differently and not knowing the procedure performed its difficult to opine. My suggestion would be to go back to your surgeon and discuss the issue with him or her. A new x-ray would be indicated at this time.

Answered 12/30/2020

361 views

Dr. Frank Kase answered

Specializes in Podiatry

May be normal: Swelling is a common part of any foot surgery. However, it has already been 10 months since your surgery. Swelling at this late stage may be normal but there may be some underlying process occurring. I would certainly recommend that x-rays be taken to determine whether or not the fracture of the metatarsal has completely healed. After an x-ray is been taking a greater interpretation can be made.

Answered 3/21/2018

360 views

Dr. John Solar answered

Specializes in

Need more info: The most recent X-ray would be helpful to determine what procedure you had and the extent of healing. Otherwise your swelling should be down by now

Answered 12/23/2018

360 views