can a periodontist determine with a cbct if there is a need for a bone graft, or not, in preparation for a dental implant?

3 doctor answers
Dr. David Harrington
6 years experience Dentistry
Typically, yes: Yes. In most cases a CBCT will show where bone is located (or a graft is needed) to achieve treatment goals. Sometimes conditions during a surgical procedure or inside the patient’s mouth will dictate a need for grafting as well.
Answered on Nov 23, 2017
1
Dr. Daniel Wolter
30 years experience Dentistry
CBCT Helps a Lot: Just like any technology or diagnostic tool, a CBCT does not give ALL the answers or details needed to make a clinical decision. However, it is a powerful tool which can give an accurate representation of the actual jawbone, in both dimension and density (although density is not 100% accurate). Since the jawbone itself cannot be seen visually in your mouth, a CBCT can be a big help in deciding.
Answered on Nov 6, 2018
Dr. Robert Mokbel
42 years experience Dentistry
Definitely : Cone beam technology is the standard of care for implant placement, it is definitely recommended to have A Cbct scan before implants placement to determine if there is enough bone in 3d to place an implant.Of course it is one of the tools used to decide if and where to place implants, clinical examination and other diagnostic tools are usually required as well. Discuss with your treating dentist
Answered on Nov 14, 2020