Pinnacle, NC

i have a newborn and three older kids (10, 8, 6) everyone in my house has gotten their flu shot except for the newborn. i have to formula feed although i did breastfeed in the hospital. at the first sign of illness in my home can the baby take tamifl?

I wouldn't: Tamiflu is approved for 2 wks and older but the risk and frequency of side effects are common in infants. My rule was never to use it in infants that were not hospitalizes for their illness. Tamiflu is not an antibiotic. It interferes with flu reproduction but does not kill it. Seizures and other neurologic side effects are worrisome. Confer with the kids doc as needed.
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatric Pulmonology 36 years experience
Mgt: The flu vaccination and good hand washing are preventive measures. If your baby seems ill, I would advise seeing your PCP. If your family has a viral illness, that member should avoid handling the baby until well.