How long after a cut can you get stitches done? do i need tetanus injection? ripped finger open on a thorn on saturday morning

Dr. Stephen Scholand
Infectious Disease 24 years experience
Doctor's call: Depending on what the wound looks like and where it is (as well has how long it's been 'untreated') will determine whether the doc decides to stitch it closed. If it's a thorn injury, I probably would not stitch it, although obviously it needs to be seen first. If you are more than 10 years over due for tetanus, you should be boosted (re-immunized). If it was really a dirty wound, I would say 5 yr

Last updated Dec 7, 2017