Garland, TX
A female asked about a female:

My daughter has a bite on her foot. it's red and swollen with a brown dot in the middle. put neosporin on it and don't see any pus coming out. seems to be filled with fluid and is pretty large. does she need to see a doctor? what can we do?

Dr. Yelena Kipervas
Recommendation : The first of all need to be sure that this is only bite, not the small foreign body. If the last you need to take it off and then alcohol, bacitracin or neosporin If redness is spreading you definitely need to see a doctor.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Milton Alvis, jr
Preventive Medicine 42 years experience
Difficult to advise: with wisdom from a distance, no photo, no dimensions (large?), no timeline, no background data. Sounds c/w an insect bite but too little information to offer much wisdom. The treatment sounds reasonable, lack of purulent discharge a good sign. Generally rupturing the blister (a body protective response) is not wise because this lets in skin bacteria/potential pathogens.
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 37 years experience
Mgt: I would recommend being seen. A virtual consultation can help if a photo is uploaded. Is she experiencing any respiratory difficulty? If so, please see the emergency department.
Last updated Jul 8, 2017