U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 44-year-old female asked:

Should a normal urgent care physician assistant or nurse practitioner tell the different between pink eye and uveitis?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Pierrette Mimi Poinsett
Pediatrics 40 years experience
Need slit lamp: Specialized eye exam using a slit lamp is required to diagnose uveitis. This exam is usually performed by an ophthalmologist. More about how uveitis is diagnosed is in this article: http://www.medicinenet.com/uveitis/page3.htm
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 27 years experience
Thanks Dr Mimi Poinsett. Many providers may not have access to a slit lamp or they may not be trained in how to use this equipment.
May 18, 2017
Dr. Jon Fishburn
Ophthalmology 32 years experience
Depends : Uveitis requires a slit lamp biomicroscopic examination of the anterior and posterior chambers of the eye to make the diagnosis. Some ER's have these instruments. Pink eye, infectious or allergic, can often be made by history and external examination aided by a light source and magnification. A slit lamp is useful but not always required in an ER or quick care facility. So the answer: It depends.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 21, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.