NY

How long does the swelling of a sprained ankle persist? i sprained my left ankle for the second time and after almost 5 weeks it is still swollen.

Dr. Kenneth Merriman
Orthopedic Surgery 49 years experience
Depends: Repeats take longer and any sprain can take a long time to heal and some even need surgical care/ seeing an orthopedic surgeon would be good in the mean tome be careful wear an ankle brace /hot & cold packs or soak in epsom salts bath.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Maxim Tyorkin
Sports Medicine 23 years experience
Depends: Swelling in the ankle can persist for many months if nothing is done to rehab the muscles around the ankle. I would start doing calf raises and light jogging on a treadmill for short distance to regain proper balance and function.
Last updated Oct 18, 2016