my baby has a stiff neck. what is the best position to lay her in?

Dr. Scott Katz
Complicated Question: If your baby has already been examined by their pediatrician, and the stiff neck determined to not be related to meningitis, they should still be put to sleep on their back. When awake, there are certain stretching exercises and positioning that can help, but they should be individualized to your baby. Your doctor or a physical therapist will guide you.
Dr. Tariq Niazi
Dr. Tariq Niazi commented
Orthopedic Surgery 43 years experience
Agree entirely, but a condition called Torticollis when the neck is turned to one side, usually present at birth or it becomes apparent in the first few months. Usually there is a knot at the front of the neck on the side to which the neck is turned. Generally stretching will help. Do get her seen by an orthopedist as well.
Oct 14, 2013
Dr. Julia Stanford
Internal Medicine and Pediatrics 23 years experience
Back : The best position for infants when sleeping is on their back in order to decrease their risk of sids. However, when they are awake and being closely monitored, it may be beneficial to lay them on their stomachs for brief periods of time. If the stiff neck is continuing they should be evaluated by their pediatrician as sometimes physical therapy is helpful.