U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Wake Forest, NC
A 51-year-old female asked:

Flat feet and fallen arch. is it best to get custom rx orthotics for feet or store bought ones? please advise. dr. said no more run at surgeyr risk

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jason Armstrong
Podiatry 25 years experience
Flat feet: Either at first. Try an inexpensive over the counter arch support first. If symptoms improve greatly then should be ok. If symptoms slightly improve then custom orthotics are recommended. Custom inserts are casted from molds of your feet so basically are your inserts only. Over the counter devices are designed to fit everyone. See your local podiatrist
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Mar 21, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.