U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
New Zealand
A 32-year-old male asked:

I have a severely collapsed arch in one foot and am looking at custom orthotics, should i definitely use neutral rather than 'supportive' shoes?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Rick Pospisil
Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
Arch collapse: What is your other foot like ? Is it also collapsed? If not you may have ruptured a tendon which holds up the arch . You should be evaluated . Either way if custom orthotics are recommended . Place them in a neutral shoe
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Nov 19, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.