I had medial meniscus tear repaired 4 1/2 months ago, i still have pain and a knot where the repair was, it is painful to the touch, is this normal?

11 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. answered

Check with surgeon: Get it checked with your surgeon Sometimes the knots of the wound might trap a nerve and cause pain. Also infection might be another cause of the pain.

Answered 4/27/2018

789 views

Probably not normal: A few questions, was the meniscus repaired or trimmed away? What is your age, and was there any co-existing arthritis? It's possible you have some scar tissue or undissolved stitches at the surgical site. It's important to determine whether your pain is superficial (outside the joint) or coming from inside the joint. A repeat exam by your physician should help determine this and treatment options.

Answered 4/27/2018

789 views

Dr. Edward Hellman answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

No: No not really normal to have pain so far after surgery. I would schedule a Followup with your surgeon to discuss directly. Repeat MRI may be of benefit.

Answered 4/27/2018

788 views