Mac Arthur, WV

Trying to educate myself as my hematologist has mentioned polycythemia. running more labs and said i may need a bone marrow biopsy. is that necessary?

Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice 28 years experience
Polycythemia: This process that your specialist has outline is normal. The concentration of the blood can be a normal issue with some medication reactions. If you smoke you will have polycythemia. Too much concentration of the blood can clog up arteries and cause damage and the reason for this must be determined.
Pathology 44 years experience
Consider a consult: I do not know all the details, but with your age and your treatment history this does not seem like a setting in which i would suspect polycythemia vera rubra, and a mutation assay might be ordered first if this is a consideration. And the fact that you sent this question while already under a hematologist's care suggests to me you want a 2nd opinion in any case. It's absolutely your right.

Last updated Jan 5, 2019