U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Wild Rose, WI
A 26-year-old male asked:

I pulled a deer tick off me today it had just bitten into my skin and hurt like a bee sting do i need to see a doctor?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Brad Goldenberg
Neonatology 38 years experience
Prob not: Make sure you pulled the head of the tick out of the skin and ask you doc next steps. You can treat ahead of any symptoms and skin changes or just wait, but I would recommend treatment with doxycycline only if 1) not pregnant, or lactating, 2) attached for > or = to 36 hrs, and 3) identified as an adult or nymph stage deer tick...
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 9, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.