U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 33-year-old male asked:

I had my hba1c done and my result is 7.0% or 53 mmol. the diagnosis says i m diabetic but how do i know if i m type 1 or 2? doctor didn't prescribe any medicine but asked to have this test done in 3 months. all good ?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Shadia Constantine
Specializes in Internal Medicine
Likely Type 2: Dear EternalC, if you were just diagnosed by lab work because your symptoms are "mild", you are most likely at Type 2. Type 1 people usually get very very sick when they develop it and need insulin right away and their sugars are very high. Yours are mildly high. Any chance you can loose between 7-10 pounds? your numbers would be much, much better next time. Good luck! Dr. C
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Ed Friedlander
Pathology 46 years experience
Get 2nd opinion: Type I / autoimmune diabetes can turn up at any age, and can be distinguished by some labs and by the fact that you will require insulin. I would not wait three months.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 9, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.