U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 28-year-old female asked:

Persistent yeast infection unresponsive to one time doses of fluconazole and itraconazole. now have rash on perineum. do i need a longer treatment?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Infectious Disease 54 years experience
Resistant yeast: Some yeast strains are resistant to all the "azole" drugs, and more prolonged treatment won't help. These infections need treatment with other drugs like nystatin, flucytosine, or other drugs. Your diagnosis needs to be confirmed by a doctor who understands resistant yeast; follow his or her advice on treatment. Good luck!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Sep 5, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.