my micoalbumin is 555 but my bun/creatinine ratio is normal and my serum albumin is normal. i am diabetic. what does 555 mean? is it kidney failure?

Dr. Jesse Krakauer
44 years experience Endocrinology
Diabetic nephropathy: B"sd kidney failure is marked by elevation of creatinine. Microalbumin is a sensitive test for early kidney changes seen in diabetes and hypertension. Unless very high, standard albumin will be normal. Fatty liver is of concern but not directly related. To prevent progression of kidney disease 1. control of diabetes 2. blood pressure control 3. ACE or ARB agent. Glad to discuss
Answered on Aug 23, 2019
1