How long am i suppose to wait between gallbladder and cosmetic surgery?

8 doctors weighed in across 4 answers

Cosmetic Surg wait: This depends. If you are having elective gallbladder surgery, and you are having facial plastic surgery, a 2 week wait is probably ok. If your gallbladder is infected, and you are planning liposuction, tummy tuck, or placement of breast implants, you should probably wait 3 months. The gallbladder surgery should be done first, because there is a higher risk of contamination from this surgery.

Answered 9/10/2013

5.2k views

Go for a consult.: The answer is it depends. An uncomplicated laparoscopic cholecystectomy can be followed by cosmetic procedures likely in a few weeks once cleared by your general surgeon. A complicated open gall bladder surgery will require a lot more recovery and healing.

Answered 1/4/2015

5.2k views

One Month?: Assuming you are doing well after cholecystectomy ( no complications and/or problems with infection or lungs), i would suggest that you wait at least one month between the two operations. Of course, the doctors that know you personally will be able to be more helpful/precise.

Answered 4/8/2013

5.2k views

Dr. Thomas Fiala answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

It depends...: Did you have an open cholecystectomy or a laparoscopic one? Was it an infected gallbladder? Which cosmetic procedure were you thinking of? Is it on the abdomen? Does it involve an implant? Once your general surgeon releases you, go and see a plastic surgeon for a consult. Once the above questions are answered, you can get some better time estimates.

Answered 9/10/2013

5.1k views