Baxter, TN
A 37-year-old female asked about a 71-year-old male:

Broke 4 bones and chipped a bone in foot 2 wks ago. perfect alignment so boot was put on. woke up yest. with red swollen foot & a lot more pain?

Dr. Scott Keith
Podiatry 44 years experience
No time for Gout.: Red swollen foot with a lot of pain, especially after an injury, could be several things. My first thought is you are experiencing a gout attack. This is not that unusual for post menopausal women. I would expect that foot is also very warm and an off red color. There is a possibility of a phlebitis, however, not so common in the foot. To remove all doubt, see you doctor or go to immed. care.
Dr. Katharine Cox
Pediatric Emergency Medicine 45 years experience
Recheck: If you are worse after 2 weeks a number of problems may have occurred such as displaced bones or infection. Be checked to see why you are not getting better. You may need a new XR and be immobilized in a cast. All the best. Be seen!

Last updated Dec 26, 2015