Second toe on left foot won't heal broke foot and put in boot and told me to rest with foot up.. when removed one month later, toe was red, swollen and a big, deep sore on toe. wound care nurses treated me for 2 weeks and pronounced it healed. saw doct

Dr. Howard Fox
Podiatry 42 years experience
You : You didn't mention anything about the state of your general health. I would wonder if you're a diabetic or have circulation problems. Either way, i'd be concerned about the development of a bone infection. Has the toe been x-rayed since it ulcerated? Did anyone try to probe the ulcer to see if it is deep to the bone? You may need several months of antibiotics, and possibly even surgery if the bone is infected. If you feel none of your doctors are looking into this, you may want to get another opinion. Bone infections are serious. Good luck.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry 22 years experience
Have it re-evaluated: Pain and swelling is normal and may last for several months after a foot injury. Factors that may speed your recovery include: immobilization, elevation, good nutrition, adequate circulation, infection control. Have it evaluated by a specialist. Follow your physicians’ instructions and do not smoke.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 28 years experience
Forget the nurses: For a second, you need to follow up with the doc and get a follow up x-ray. There are two issues here - the break, and the possibility the sore created a new problem such as a possible deeper infection. You did not state how you broke the foot or if you have comorbidities like diabetes...Follow up with a doc.
Dr. David Hardin
Wound care 36 years experience
Is it open: You need to see wound care doctor rather than nurse is the bone intact ? Still broken? Bone might be infected or you might have gout or something else altogether.
Dr. Robert Dorsey
Wound care 36 years experience
Odd: Sounds odd that a wound of this magnitude wld be healed in 2 weeks. See a wound care specialist. I agree with the other comments.

Last updated May 1, 2019