can i still take zoloft (sertraline) that is six months passed the expiration date? 50mg dosage.

2 doctor answers
Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
38 years experience Pain Management
Zoloft (sertraline): In the USA it is not recommended. However, in many other countries expired meds have been used with no issue. So its your call.
Answered on Dec 11, 2015
Dr. Randy Baker
39 years experience Holistic Medicine
Should be OK: Expiration dates tend to be artificial. It's not like one day the medicine is fine and the next day it goes bad. Over time a medication may gradually lose some of its potency but most likely Zoloft (sertraline) that's 6 months past the expiration date is still very potent and should be as effective as if it was prior to the expiration date. If it was 2 or 3 years after exp. date I'd reconsider.
Answered on Jul 17, 2017
1