Philippines

hi, i've noticed dark brown mucus in rectum after every bm. is this mucus mixed with my stool or something else? have not seen any blood in stool.

Dr. Myron Arlen
Surgical Oncology 64 years experience
Secreted mucus: The lining of the bowel is composed of mucosal cells which secrete mucus. This is in association with the microbiome or bacterial content inherent with bowel content which also is associated with mucus secretion. Mild irritation of bowel results in this over secretion of mucus from the lining cells and which is associated with colon irritation, not tumor per se.
Dr. Jeffrey Ogden
Mucus or Blood: The color of bowel mucus can be affected by diet, the presence of bile, colon transit time, etc. Dark coloring, as you describe, could represent old blood. I would certainly recommend visiting with your physician and having your stool tested for digested blood.
Dr. Diane Minich
See doctor: and get checked and diagnosed then it can be treated,