OH

My 3 yo was diagnosed with croup. our nanny is concerned being exposed, taking it back to her kids. is this likely? any precautionary measures ?

Dr. Jason Gordon
Yes and no: Your child has a common age-specific viral infection. If your nanny has been around him or her in close proximity, she likely has been exposed -- just like a common cold. If her kids are > 6 yr old, it really doesn't matter. If they are < 6 yr old, then it is a watch and wait scenario. But the spread is unlikely. I recommend all kids be fully vaccinated to prevent more serious infections.
Dr. Jason Gordon
Provided original answer
Due to character limitations I omitted that croup is an airway swelling not the infection. The infection is viral and spread through airborne droplets. Kids are more affected due to smaller airways that do not tolerate swelling like an adult's. So the nanny has likely been exposed, unlikely to be affected, and can minimize spread by covering a cough & washing hands.
Sep 29, 2015
Dr. Charles Gordon
Specializes in Adolescent Medicine
No: Nanny would have to develop croup to transmit it. She should just follow common cold precautions.