Eastlake, OH

My for year old has a fever and a bark like cough. she had croup about three weeks ago. should i take her back to her pediatrician?

Dr. Michael Zacharisen
Allergy and Immunology 35 years experience
Recurrent croup: The barky cough and fever suggests another bout of croup. However, when recurrence of anything...Including croup occurs, it would be reasonable to consult your pediatrician to assess for other conditions. Usually the croup virus is parainfluenza type 1 or 3.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. C. michael Bowman
At least call: It sounds like croup again. When the symptoms from croup are coming back, you should call your doctor. If your child has a significant fever or you are worried, go to the doctor's office. Try to reach your doctor by phone before considering going in to the emergency room or urgent care. Your child will get better care by seeing the doctor(s) who know her and gave her care last time.
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 38 years experience
Mgt follow up: Croup is typically caused by one of a number of viruses. If she is having any trouble breathing, I would advise a follow up visit. Usually children improve rapidly over 2 to 4 days. A mist humidifier is used for mild cases but she may require steroids.
Last updated Mar 18, 2017