My for year old has a fever and a bark like cough. she had croup about three weeks ago. should i take her back to her pediatrician?

6 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Michael Zacharisen answered

Specializes in Allergy and Immunology

Recurrent croup: The barky cough and fever suggests another bout of croup. However, when recurrence of anything...Including croup occurs, it would be reasonable to consult your pediatrician to assess for other conditions. Usually the croup virus is parainfluenza type 1 or 3.

Answered 3/18/2017

5.4k views

Dr. C. michael Bowman answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

At least call: It sounds like croup again. When the symptoms from croup are coming back, you should call your doctor. If your child has a significant fever or you are worried, go to the doctor's office. Try to reach your doctor by phone before considering going in to the emergency room or urgent care. Your child will get better care by seeing the doctor(s) who know her and gave her care last time.

Answered 2/22/2013

5.4k views

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh answered

Specializes in Pediatric Allergy and Asthma

Mgt follow up: Croup is typically caused by one of a number of viruses. If she is having any trouble breathing, I would advise a follow up visit. Usually children improve rapidly over 2 to 4 days. A mist humidifier is used for mild cases but she may require steroids.

Answered 1/15/2015

3.3k views