I am 24 i get panic attacks during my exams which effects my grades what can i do to stop this?

19 doctors weighed in across 11 answers
Dr. Andrew Berry answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

Therapy?: Have you yet tried any form of psychotherapy? Typically, the optimal combination of things to treat emotional issues such as panic attacks, which are common is medication (which, on your best day, is supposed to take the edge off symptoms) but the real gruntwork takes place in psychotherapist's consulting room.

Answered 5/7/2017

2.3k views

Dr. Steven Griggs answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

Test-taking anxiety: is common and can be treated with a combination of psychotherapy, over-rehearsal and PRN meds. Over-preparing for tests seems to have long-lasting results, once you have some success (higher grades). But, often the cause of anxiety stems from family-of-origin psychodynamics--perfectionism being one of the many. You might start asking yourself some key questions aboutwhere your beliefs come f

Answered 5/7/2017

2.3k views

Dr. Michael Blumenfield answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Treatment: Panic attacks can be very problematic . They can limit your ability to work, socialize and study. Effective treatment can include therapy, medication or both. It is also a good idea to have a physical evaluation to be sure there isn't an underlying medical problem.

Answered 6/6/2017

2.2k views

Dr. Fred Gallo answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

Phobia treatment: There are various techniques to relieve phobic reactions such as this. Consider seeing a behavior therapist or a therapist trained in energy psychology methods. Maybe check out my book Energy Tapping for self-help.

Answered 5/11/2016

2k views

Dr. Marek Walczyk answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

What else: If the panic attacks really effect your performance on test,You should learn coping skills by visiting good therapist, at the same time you may consider pharmacotherapy. Thera are a few technics as for therapy like systemic desensitization of biofeedback, etc. Usually smal dose of beta blocker , atenolol helps , the it may follow by benzo 15 min prior to test, you should do better on test .

Answered 5/16/2017

1.8k views

Dr. Michelle King answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Anxiety: You’d need to have a medical workup to ensure that there is nothing physically causing your symptoms. Assuming that there is nothing medically causing the sxs, then a psychiatric consult for meds, and a psychologist/therapist for counseling. The combination of meds and therapy are often more effective for this type of problem than either one alone. It won't take long and you'll do fine. Good luck!

Answered 9/30/2017

1.5k views

Dr. Krishna Kumar answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Panic attacks: Focus on Blessing and Wonder of 3 million air sacs in your lungs due to which you are alive and functioning. Speak-BREATH IS LIFE! Take a deep Breath, feel the Blessings of Lungs, Hold the Breath and keep saying; BREATH IS LIFE! Now, do Visual Imagery of a National Park. Take medication prescribed by Psychiatrist if you still feel panic. Be Captain over Panic, Not Victim. See a Psychiatrist.

Answered 5/9/2016

1.4k views

Dr. Jerry Smith answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

Seek help: I recommend seeking out a therapist or attending test anxiety seminars. The school district may offer such interventions or you may want to try your local university or college.

Answered 12/16/2016

1.4k views

Dr. Bennett Machanic answered

Specializes in Neurology

Choices: I do have concerns that your emotions will compromise your academic success. There are medications which can blunt panic attacks, but they may also compromise your memory and concentration. Cognitive-behavioral therapy might be your best bet.

Answered 5/7/2017

1.3k views

Dr. Judith Tellerman answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

Test-Taking Anxiety: You could seek psychotherapy from a clinical psychologist for a program to reduce test-taking anxiety. There are also medications to help with this. With good psychotherapy it can be possible for certain people to overcome the need for medication for panic attacks.

Answered 5/10/2017

858 views

Dr. Miroslava Fox answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

Study habit: Start with primary to see if there're physical basis for anxiety/panic. Look at the past performance and figure out what made you successful. Find a psychotherapist to help guide Capitalize on study habits that worked for you and put away what didn't work for you. Good luck!

Answered 5/7/2017

705 views