i have a decaying/decayed 2nd molar that needs a root canal. would it be a bad idea to pull it out? only tooth after that is my wisdom that grows side

3 doctor answers
Dr. Joel Casimir
6 years experience Dentistry
No problem.: While it's always a good idea to try and keep your natural teeth, sometimes it's not always possible for a number of reasons. Fortunately, people adapt just fine to having 2nd molars removed and that alone will not cause problems with your other teeth.
Answered on Sep 17, 2015
1
Dr. Charles Kattuah
22 years experience Dentistry
Personal choice: My advice would be to save it if you can. Many people elect to remove teeth that are savable for financial reasons. If that is not an issue for you and your dentist gives the tooth a good long term prognosis if treated then do the root canal and crown to preserve the tooth because once it's gone, it's gone. If your wisdom tooth is impacted it may not erupt into place of the 2nd molar.
Answered on Oct 15, 2017
1
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin answered
35 years experience Pain Management
No-brainer: If your tooth is restorable, have the root canal and save your natural tooth.
Answered on Sep 19, 2015