i need ideas about what may be wrong with a #31 molar, where i had a root canal done 2.5 years ago. it is sunday now. i saw my dentist on friday. she took an x-ray of #31. good news was she saw nothing wrong: no decay, no cracks, nothing that indicates th

Dr. G Funari
Dr. G Funari answered
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Scenarios : Scenarios like this are typically due to a fracture. Fractures are typically not seen on x-rays unless there is separation of the pieces. Also if this is a failure of the root canal, it may be too early to see changes on the x-ray. New x-ray technology call cone beam (cbt) has improved our diagnosis of fractures and failing root canals. I would recommend an evaluation by an endodontist (root canal specialist).
Dr. Jonathan Scharf
Cosmetic Dentistry 49 years experience
Your : Your pain is quite intense based on your description and it warrents further evaluation. I am complete agreement with the other docs as to what it may be and I do believe that at this time an endodontist would be the best bet.
Dr. Lance Timmerman
Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry
It : It is possible that the root canal therapy (rct) has failed and is now reinfected. It doesn't always show on xrays, so it can be difficult to diagnose. It would need new rct and a new crown, but it also can mean the tooth has fractured. If it has, then the tooth will need to be extracted. Seeing the endodontist would be good, as most general dentists do not retreat rct teeth. A second set of eyes is always good.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Failing root canal: May be due to fracture, untreated accessory canal, or incomplete seal. May be due to periodontal disease. Would advise that you seek a second opinion from an Endodontist, a root canal specialist, who has the training, experience, and armamentarium to successfully diagnose and treat your problem.

Last updated Apr 16, 2019