U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Dearborn, MI
A 36-year-old male asked:

If i want to get a second opinion from a cardiologist does the cardiologist repeats old testing i have done such as echo stresses and heart caths in order to confirm the diagnosis of cad?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Alan Heldman
Cardiology 34 years experience
Results are yours: In general, the results of tests that you had done should be available to you, and you can take them to another doctor. Don't assume that the 2nd opinion doctor will have access to the tests unless you bring them yourself. And for many tests (including echocardiography and catheterization) it is valuable to get not only the written report on paper but also the images themselves, usually on a CD.
Dr. Georgia Latham
Family Medicine 36 years experience
Good suggestion!
Aug 31, 2015
Dr. Georgia Latham
Family Medicine 36 years experience
Unlikely: It depends upon the cardiologist and the previous test results, but if you are going for a second opinion to confirm your diagnosis, it seems unnecessary to repeat the tests. In particular, it is very doubtful that a catherization would be repeated. It also depends upon how long ago the original tests were done. If it has been more than a year, the tests may need to be repeated. Good luck!
Dr. Georgia Latham
Family Medicine 36 years experience
Provided original answer
It is possible that you don't have blockages, but unlikely. If blockages were seen on catherization then their probably there. Treatment with medication can sometimes reverse blockages. Be sure to discuss all treatment options with the cardiologist.
Sep 1, 2015
Last updated Oct 25, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.