Portugal

my gynocologist told me that calcium for osteoporosis causes bone leisions and not to take it. is this correct? i have severe osteoporosis.

Dr. Alan Feldman
Endocrinology 41 years experience
No: The initial studies indicated that women after menopause who take calcium and vit d will have better bone density and fewer fractures than women who don't. However, more recent studies are indicating that taking calcium supplements may increase the risk of cardiovascular disease, but getting calcium through your diet does not. Therefore it is best to get 1500 mg of calcium daily through foods.
Dr. Chaitanya Mamillapalli
Depends: calcium and vitamin D supplementation when taken in recommended quantities are important in treatment and prevention of osteoporosis. please review information about calcium and vitamin D supplementation https://www.nof.org/patients/treatment/calciumvitamin-d request consultation with endocrinologist for management of osteoporosis