what is l-tyrosine? is it a good supplement to improve alertness?

3 doctor answers
Dr. James Rochester
Maybe: A few studies have shown that if you are under significant stress it may help alertness. Otherwise no. It is not an essential amino acid. Your body can make it from another amino acid, so unlikely you are deficient in it. Hope this was helpful. Thanks for using Healthtap. Dr R
Answered on May 17, 2019
Dr. Richard Bensinger
51 years experience Ophthalmology
Amino acid: This is a non-essential amino acid which your body makes and gets plenty of. I know of no connection between this and alertness. Sounds like a marketing pitch to me.
Answered on May 17, 2019
1
1
Dr. Julian Raffoul
Specializes in General Practice
I agree with Dr. Bensinger. For more alertness, try getting a good 8hrs of sleep per night, exercise 30min daily, stay hydrated, eat a healthy diet, and enjoy laughter.
Jul 23, 2015
Dr. Randy Baker
39 years experience Holistic Medicine
Amino acid,maybe but: L-tyrosine is an amino acid. Our bodies use it to synthesize the neurotransmitters epinephrine, norepinephrine & dopamine. It's also necessary to make thyroid hormone. If one is deficient in L-tyrosine taking it could increase production of those,likely improving alertness, but few are deficient & it's not clear if taking it will raise levels if you're not deficient.See http://tinyurl.com/y8oy9k4
Answered on May 17, 2019