What is l-tyrosine? is it a good supplement to improve alertness?

10 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. James Rochester answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Maybe: A few studies have shown that if you are under significant stress it may help alertness. Otherwise no. It is not an essential amino acid. Your body can make it from another amino acid, so unlikely you are deficient in it. Hope this was helpful. Thanks for using Healthtap. Dr R

Answered 5/17/2019

2.5k views

Dr. Richard Bensinger answered

Specializes in Ophthalmology

Amino acid: This is a non-essential amino acid which your body makes and gets plenty of. I know of no connection between this and alertness. Sounds like a marketing pitch to me.

Answered 5/17/2019

2.5k views

Dr. Randy Baker answered

Specializes in Holistic Medicine

Amino acid,maybe but: L-tyrosine is an amino acid. Our bodies use it to synthesize the neurotransmitters epinephrine, norepinephrine & dopamine. It's also necessary to make thyroid hormone. If one is deficient in L-tyrosine taking it could increase production of those,likely improving alertness, but few are deficient & it's not clear if taking it will raise levels if you're not deficient.See http://tinyurl.com/y8oy9k4

Answered 5/17/2019

2.5k views