ankle swelling kidney creatinine .68 bun 13 ratio was 19.1 which is close to high ratio does that mean kidney or heart issues?

3 doctor answers
43 years experience Pathology
Kidneys are fine: You are not in kidney failure, period. The "high BUN/creatinine ratio" means nothing if you seem generally well; you might have gotten this from eating a steak and it's fine. If you can run up a flight of stairs and lie flat comfortably, I'd doubt heart issues. I am VERY, VERY concerned about your report of fatty liver. I would urge you to increase your aerobic fitness even more & see what happens
Answered on Jul 3, 2015
1
Dr. Atul Singh
27 years experience Nephrology and Dialysis
Neither : The BUN and creatinine are normal and the ratio is not important in your labs. The numbers are as good as they get. A good physical exam and history is needed to determine the cause of your ankle edema. The numbers don't point to kidney disease and work up heart disease need to see your MD.
Answered on Jun 28, 2018
1
1
Dr. George Klauber
Specializes in Pediatric Urology
Agree withDr. Singh. BUN/Creatinine ratio is seldom useful
Jul 4, 2015
Dr. Ronald Krauser
51 years experience Rheumatology
Neither: Your kidney function is normal. Heart issues are equally unlikely.
Answered on Jul 4, 2015
1