Was diagnosed with tmj. dentist gave me a mouthguard that i wear at night. 4 months later, my jaw feels like it is misaligned. can guards make itworse?

4 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Louis Gallia answered

Specializes in Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

Yes: Yes. TMJ problems should be managed by TMJ specialists to avoid complications. Any dentist can be a TMJ expert with the proper training and experience. Most commonly, oral surgeons, prosthodontists, and orofacial pain specialists. Ask your MD, your dentist and your dental society for referrals.

Answered 7/1/2015

2.6k views

Dr. Debra Rosenblatt answered

Specializes in Dentistry

TMJ workup: Have the dentist do a complete TMJ workup inclusive of radiographs of the condyle in an open and closed position. If the dentist does not do this, ask for a referral. A mouthguard separates the teeth, you need to know the etiology of the problem. In addition, the mouthguard may need to be adjusted to your occlusion.

Answered 7/3/2015

2.6k views

Dr. Paul Grin answered

Specializes in Pain Management

See OFP specialist: Yes mouth guards can make things worse. The Orofacial Pain specialists provide diagnosis and treatment of pain in the head, face and TMJ. They are the experts in this field and TMJ alignment. Look for OFP specialist near you.

Answered 7/12/2015

2.6k views