GA

Can i pop my tooth abscess on my own it hurts really bad no way of getting to a dentist?

Dr. Rosemary Olivero
Pediatric Infectious Disease 16 years experience
Dental intervention: Draining the abscess on your own may give temporary relief, but you may need the tooth removed, and you likely need a course of antibiotics. At the very least I would see a doctor, but a dentist is probably needed.
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 41 years experience
Priorities: Find a way of getting to a dentist. "Popping" the abscess does not cure the problem. The pain will only get worse and you will unfortunately needlessly suffer. In the end, you will still need to see a dentist, so go now and avoid additional pain.
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dentistry 46 years experience
Avoid: Popping the abscess may spread the infection. Can you get to an emergency department?
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 55 years experience
Find a way: An abscess is an acute infection, which left untreated can spread and cause serious complications. I personally know of situations where patients have had a brain abscess or died. You need drainage, antibiotics and to remove the cause of the infection. You must find a way to see a dentist, or the problem will resurface. Take OTC pain medication, rinse with salt water and see a dentist (24/7 MD)
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 37 years experience
See a dentist ASAP: The best is to call your dentist and explain that you are in pain and in need of an emergency appointment. A dental abscess, infection or toothache, is potentially life-threatening. See a dentist ASAP.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
Not safely: An abscess is an infection. Attempting self treatment will most assuredly make matters worse. To treat the infection the infected tooth material must be removed (root canal or extraction). Self administered surgery is dangerous and harmful, and can have severe consequences. Bite the bullet, see a Dentist for competent effective professional care.
Dr. Dimitri Novitzky
Thoracic Surgery 53 years experience
Tooth abscess: A tooth abscess, is in the bone, you will require iv sedation, iv analgesia, iv antibiotics before the procedure. Therefore there no way for you to do the procedure on yourself. Now if you Have a gum abscess, perhaps with a sharp blade you can do on yourself. Be NPO, take PO Amoxicillin BID, first doe 30 min before.Cool the mucosa, apply topical Lidocaine. Puncture the, abscess with an 11 blade,

Last updated Nov 28, 2017