Los Angeles, CA

wisdom tooth extracted got a dry socket it was then packed with packing strip with medication was told that the packing strip will fall out. will it?

Dr. Stuart Winkler
Nephrology and Dialysis 48 years experience
Wisdom tooth: A dry socket occurs when the blood clot is lost after tooth extraction leaving the bone and nerve exposed. This can be due to infection,nicotine,sucking through a straw or certain hormones such as oral contraceptives. The treatment is packing with medication. The packing is usually changed as often as daily. As the tooth heals the packing will fall out.