I have hyperthyroidism the methimazole and ptu (propylthiouracil) cause my wbc to be around 3.1 i feel great otherwise can i just drop the dose age from 2x a day 50mg st?

5 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Quang Nguyen answered

Specializes in Endocrinology

Talk to doc : Lowering the dose might cause your levels to go out of range and you won't feel "great" again. Talk to your doc to see if he/she is willing to monitor you closely. If the drugs ptu (propylthiouracil) or methimazole is causing adverse reactions, you might need to think about the othet options: radioactive iodine or surgery.

Answered 4/6/2015

3.1k views

Dr. Susan Wingo answered

Specializes in Endocrinology

WBC issues.: Many people have WBCs lower than the listed normal range. A WBC of 3.1 may be perfectly normal for you. When meds like methimazole or PTU (propylthiouracil) cause problems with the WBC, they cause an immune reaction resulting in extremely low WBC's (usually

Answered 5/17/2015

2.8k views