U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 52-year-old male asked:

I'm concerned. i have a low tsh and high t4. i'm symptomatic of hyperthyroidism. can't take ptu (propylthiouracil) or tapazole. what happens now?

2 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
A Verified Doctoranswered
30 years experience
Diagnosis first: You may or may not have grave's disease. Your doctor needs to determine the cause of your test results before treating test results. Meanwhile, if not contraindicated, a beta blocker could be useful in terms of treating hyperthyroid symptoms. Causes of your hyperthyroidism also include: hashimoto's, subacute thyroiditis, and toxic thyroid nodule.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Gurmukh Singh
Pathology 51 years experience
Agree with Dr. L: All laboratory results need to be interpreted in the clinical context and the doctor who ordered the tests is usually in the best position to do that. Talk to the doctor who ordered the tests. Having said that, it would have helped had you provided the actual numbers.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jan 12, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.