Hudson, NH

Is there a washout period to get other multiple sclerosis meds out of the system before starting tecfidera (bg12)?

Dr. Eric Farbman
Neurology 28 years experience
Unlikely: Given how bg12 works, it is unlikely that a washout period is needed. There is nothing in the package insert about a washout. I am not certain if one is on an immune modulator ala tysabri (natalizumab) if a washout is indicated, but it is doubtful that one is needed for the typical abcr medicines.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. William Gaya
Neurology 31 years experience
I wait 6 months washout from tysabri, specially if used for long time or if JC virus positive.
Apr 4, 2013
Dr. William Gaya
Neurology 31 years experience
Multiple sclerosis: This is very good question as no data is available to respond to it.When switching from interferon beta1a (im/sq) or beta 1b, and glatiramer no wash out appears to be necessary. A switch from Gilenya may require a longer period of time. For tysabri, (natalizumab) as the effect in the csf/cns lasts 6 months, i would wait at least this long before starting a new agent. Teriflunamide washout may be the longest.
Neurology 54 years experience
Do NOT recommend: Many neurologists are fearful that stopping Tysabri (natalizumab) and starting a new agent prior to 3 months could be a risk for PML, but waiting too long can result in relapse or even severe rebound. Am not really using much of a washout with any of the drugs, including Aubagio as reality far outways fears of the unknown. Stop your current agent, and go onto Tecfidera 120 mg twice daily tomorrow.