Rocky Hill, CT

Hi just had acl/menisuc surgery and im in mt 4 wk after. i feel like im not getting better fast and still can't walk on my own yet. should i worry?

Dr. John Shim
Orthopedic Surgery 43 years experience
Tough situation: Acl/meniscus can be a drawn out recovery. You doctor I am sure, has ruled out infection. Sometimes it takes longer for certain individual. Discuss progress with your doctor, and make sure you discuss all the possibilities. Rarely, you may need to have a new MRI to check orientation of the new graft.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Mark Galland
Orthopedic Surgery 34 years experience
In due time...: I have my patients wear a brace until 6-9 weeks postop. While many patients are able to put partial weight on the leg w/ the aid of crutches, it is not unusual for them to feel weakness/ pain @ 4 wks that prevent them from fully walking on their own. You should discuss your concerns with your physical therapist/ surgeon, but if this is just due to quad weakness it will level out in time.
Last updated Jun 10, 2014