Hi, i have had my acl reconstructed about 5 years ago and a follow up surgery to patch up my meniscus about 3 years ago. i still experience pain after a game. is it normal?

5 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Allen Lu answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

Many: There can be many causes depending on the location and character of the pain. It could be as simple as hamstring tendinitis from quad muscles that have not fully rehabbed. It could also be a retear of the meniscus or a meniscus that never healed. Or it could be damage to the cartilage. You're gonna have to see your surgeon to get a better diagnosis!

Answered 3/26/2013

5.4k views

Dr. Theodore Shybut answered

Specializes in Sports Medicine

Get it evalutated: Best to have your knee evaluated, and determine if you simply need a better course of rehab or if there is another issue (eg non-healing of meniscal repair, further tearing, articular cartilage injury that could have progressed, ligament insufficiency). If in doubt get a second opinion. Your meniscus tear after aclr makes me concerned that your reconstruction is not fully stabilizing the knee.

Answered 5/3/2014

5.3k views

Acl surgery: With your remote acl reconstruction and more recent meniscal surgery i would recommend a new MRI to evaluate for meniscal healing.

Answered 6/10/2014

5.3k views