Forest Hills, NY

is external cephalic version dangerous for baby or mom? could it cause issues with unbiblical cord? i'm 36 weeks with a breech baby. any advice?

Dr. Liawaty Ho
Hematology and Oncology 23 years experience
By expert: If that is done by an experienced obstetrician under close monitoring of the fetal status - it should be okay and could be an option for you. Please discuss further with your OB with the detail procedure and possible complication.
Dr. Linda Gromko
Version aversion?: Version (turning a baby from a breech presentation to vertex (head down)) is not without risk. And you are correct; umbilical cord compression or kinking can occur. This is why your baby is monitored throughout the procedure. Version is not always successful, i.e., babies can flip back. And it may be uncomfortable. It can, however, increase your chance of having a vaginal delivery. Talk with doc!
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Maternal-Fetal Medicine 26 years experience
Has risks.: External cephalic version of breech or transverse fetuses can be painful and risky, which is why i never attempt it without adequate epidural anesthesia; if it is successful, labor induction follows - if unsuccessful cesarean section follows on the same day. Terbutaline for uterine relaxation is also a good idea. Sounds scary, huh? You may opt for prelabor cesarean section by 39 weeks instead.