U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 37-year-old member asked:

Dad is 68, recently diagnosed with advaced prostate cancer with skeletal bone metastasis. what kind of hormone therapy shall he use?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. David Sneid
Endocrinology 43 years experience
Multiple available: There are multiple hormonal and non-hormonal therapies available. Your dad desperately needs a visit to a urologist and a cancer specialist, and maybe a radiotherapist. Get him in for a visit quickly!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Natarajan Raman
Radiation Oncology 35 years experience
Surgical vs medical: There are 2 ways to address this. Surgical castration with bilateral orchiectomy is a good option with a one time surgery and good relief. Medical castration ie combined androgen blockade is done with Casodex and Lupron (leuprolide) (expensive and need to be given at periodic intervals. Talk to your oncologist and see how your father wishes to proceed. Palliative radiation is a good option for bone pain.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Dec 31, 2022


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.