U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 45-year-old member asked:

Bug bite on ankle. hurts, itches, swollen and bruised. about an inch from the bite is a cluster of liquid filled blisters. what could it be?

3 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Fred Birnbaum
Podiatry 44 years experience
Bug bite reaction: Assuming it is definitely a bug bite, this is probably more bites or reaction to any venom injected by the insect. See your pcp if it doesn't improve quickly.
Dr. Bradly Shollenberger
Podiatry 37 years experience
Allergy: Fluid-filled blisters usually signify an allergic reaction, likely from the bug bite. This should respond to a topical steroid cream. If the area becomes red, hot and painful, have it seen by a podiatrist. It could be infected.
Dr. Marshall Solomon
Podiatry 49 years experience
Inflammation or cell: Inflammatory reaction or cellulitis. If red streaks are moving up your leg it is usually cellulitis and will necessitate an antibiotic. If localize a steroid cream or Hydrocortisone cream may due the trick.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 29 years experience
Agreed. MRSA, infections an mimic bug bites, so if no improvement be aware.
Mar 9, 2013
Last updated Jun 1, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.