An mri showed "thinning of the central portion of my tfcc " in my wrist and " minimal cystic change in the lunate. what does this mean and can it heal?

4 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Blake Miller answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

Keinbock's: Cystic changes in the lunate indicate potentially keinbock's disease, which occurs most commonly when the ulna is slightly shorter than the radius. Sometimes immobilization helps, but a distal radius decompression surgery can revascularize the lunate and prevent collapse.

Answered 3/6/2013

5.3k views

Depends: The tfcc (triangular fibrocartilage complex) is a complicated structure that supports the wrist on the ulnar (pinky) side. A possible explanation for the findings you describe would be one of several ulnar-sided impaction syndromes where there is excessive load bearing across that side of the wrist. The changes you describe are typical. See a hand specialist to determine if treatment is needed.

Answered 10/7/2013

5.3k views