TX

how safe is weight loss surgery?

Dr. Dominic Ricciardi
Bariatrics 20 years experience
Depends: Everything a physician does is potentially risky and decisions are determined by risk vs benefit. Your doctor must answer if your weight/related medical issues are riskier than surgery? Furthermore are you behaviorally prepared to to make such a dramatic lifestyle change? You can completely negate the potential benefit if you do not work on behavior modification.
Dr. Alexander Barkan
General Surgery 24 years experience
Wanna live?: If you qualify for weight lose surgery then you should seriously consider it. In the right surgical hands you will do well. Behavior modification is important but can be worked at after surgery because only then do you realize what you need to do to be succesful.
Dr. Terry Simpson
General Surgery 35 years experience
Pretty safe: Short term risks depend on the condition of the patient and the surgeons volume. Generally an experienced surgeon with healthy patients has a 2.7% risk.
Dr. Gregg Nishi
Bariatrics 22 years experience
Weight loss surgery: Yes it is safe if done by an experienced surgeon. It does require a big lifestyle change. No more junk food, sodas, you should eat much fewer carbs, and exercise regularly. It takes work, but the payoff is huge. Risk of death is 1/1000 for gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy.