is there anything i can do for a painful ingrown toenail?

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Possibly: Home remedies for ingrown toenails include soaking in a solution of warm water and epsom salt. Some have also found benefit to putting a small wad of cotton between the nail and the nail fold (skin). Unfortunately, home remedies for ingrown toenails are not very effective. Lack of improvement or pus warrants a visit to your doctor or podiatrist.
Dr. David Miller
Dr. David Miller answered
Cut it out: A painful ingrown toenail can get infected and lead to serious problems if not treated carefully and properly. It is usually just a minor surgical procedure to remove the ingrown edge. Sometimes the bed can be cauterized to prevent that edge from growing back. Often, just proper trimming can prevent it from coming back.
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry 14 years experience
In office procedure: Ingrown toenails are easily resolved via an in office procedure where the toe is numbed and the offending border(s) removed. In some cases a permanent correction can be performed.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry 22 years experience
Nail care: An ingrown toenail can feel like you have a thorn stuck in your skin. All the soaks, antibiotics and anything else in the world will not be able to get rid of this completely. You need to get that little piece of nail out to completely in order to resolve the issue. Get it taken care of by a professional to avoid preventable complications.