my grandma is diagnosed with liver cancer. she is 70. after biopsy doc says its in d 1st stage. and has to be operated. what r risks? sirvival rate?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Liawaty Ho
23 years experience Hematology and Oncology
Liver ca: Risk for surgery will depend on her other medical condition- i.E- her heart and lung functions etc. Surgical resection with negative margins will be the best therapy to cure the liver cancer. It is something that i would recommend to my patient- if the surgery can be done safely. Age is important, however how good overall condition will be even more important. Discuss with her mds.
Answered on Feb 26, 2013
1
1
Dr. John Fung
Dr. John Fung commented
39 years experience General Surgery
The treatment for liver cancer depends on many factors, the exact nature of the cancer (hepatocellular carcinoma [HCC]?, location?), the underlying liver condition (hepatitis?, cirrhosis?) and liver function, and other medical factors (heart, kidney, lung, diabetes?). Stage I HCC can be treated surgically (resection), by chemoembolization (radiology), by radiofrequency ablation or by radiotherapy. The exact treatment should be dictated by an individual assessment by a hepatologist and liver surgeon.
Feb 26, 2013
Dr. Allen Kamrava
15 years experience Colon and Rectal Surgery
Acceptable risks: Liver cancer has come a long way and people are doing much better. For stage i cancer, the risk profile is such that she is much more likely to survive the operation and live a normal life than if she were to do nothing at all. I can't just give you a number because risk profiles are based on a patient's health status and many other factors, but generally speaking for stage i, surgery is fine.
Answered on Dec 18, 2014
2